Sunday, February 28, 2010

2,555 days of Marriage

4,015 days of loving a person moves quickly when you are still having a great time! Today is our 7th wedding anniversary and we have been a couple for 11 years!! Hard to believe it was 11 years ago when I went off to college and found myself in several classes with a football player who seemed to have a staring problem! I want to write a blog today to tell you why I love this man and what he means to me!



In light of several of our close friends who have recently lost their marriages or are on a very treacherous path..... it causes me to reflect on my own marriage. It takes mere seconds to realize that God has truly blessed me with a man who loves God, me and his son with a fierce passion that drives him to protect us all from the things of this world that can steal, kill and destroy all that is good. Robert is not perfect, but he continues to deny himself daily and take up his cross. This action alone has brought blessings on our life that I'm eternally grateful for. Robert is a man who can laugh at himself and definitely at me. He finds joy in a funny tv show, an afternoon at the park, and Cade's silly games. He takes the time to play with Cade, put his toys together, wash his clothes, his bottles, change his sheets, take him to the Doctor, hold him when he is sad, teach him ridiculous phrases and of course 3 point football stances. He takes the time to ask me how my day was, encourage me as a mother, support my work successes and failures, take me out to dinner again( since I can't cook), comfort me when I'm sad, laugh at me when I'm mad but most of all he loves me despite me and tells me so everyday! He has sent me roses to school every year for my birthday, writes me poems, saves Canton money for me, hangs curtains and repaints walls every time I change my mind on the color scheme.



Robert works very hard at his marketing management job as well. He treats co-workers with respect, makes them laugh, impresses them with his forward thinking. He is well liked and respected because of the character and ethical code he demonstrates. This makes me proud.

He is now a student again as well. He is walking away from a successful business career that was progressing to give his life to others so that they may know Jesus. He has the biggest servant heart of anyone I have ever known. God has equipped him with the ability to reach others for His glory. This road is long and difficult, but Robert will stay the course because that is who he is.



Recently, I was looking for a certain channel to watch a tv show and realized it was blocked. I thought that was weird so I asked Robert what happen to the channel. He replied simply that he blocked it because he had noticed some questionable shows came on that channel (things most people are immune to) and he did not think he needed to see them. Keep in mind we have a very basic cable package. But his heart is so in tune to the fact that he must protect his mind and heart from any foothold that Satan could use to harm us, harm our marriage. My heart soared and I decided I no longer needed to watch a show on that channel after all. It is not worth it. I praise God for a husband who wants to please the Lord and guard his heart and mind as often as he can.



I don't know why God allowed me to be blessed with such a wonderful husband and marriage.... but all I can say is THANK YOU Lord. THANK YOU Robert for showing me so much, for challenging me to be a better person, for loving me as Christ loved the Church, for upholding your marriage vows and for being my BFF! I love you and look forward to our next 7 years and many after that together!!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Thank you for making me cry!!! I love you both! Happy Anniversary!!!

Hey! I'm Alison - wife. mom. child of God. teacher. said...

That is beautiful and so encouraging to me, especially since we just got married. Happy Aniversary!