Monday, January 12, 2009

Letter of resignation

Life has changed dramatically over past 12 months from both a personal and a professional perspective. I am so grateful for all that God has provided me and my family with and during such a dark economic period in history I am certainly proud to still have a job. That being said, I recently expressed some repressed feelings about my work to Michele and she commented, "Well, at least now you know what to include in your letter of resignation!"

Before you begin to worry that I will not be able to provide for my family, let me reassure you that I have not quit my job. There are still tremendous opportunities to grow and learn at Healthland; however, I have again been overlooked for a management opportunity. I was informed last week that a new division has been formed within our marketing team to enable us to meet our goals more efficiently and that I would be part of the new group. I was then informed that the other Mkt Communications Mng at Healthland was promoted to the manager position for the new group. I am not knocking the other individual's abilities, but I did not even get an opportunity to interview for the position. There was apparently no consideration for the fact that I am the one MBA in our whole department! My boss (VP of Mkt) did mention how we had talked about my desire to be in mgmt but that this fit the other person better.

In addition to that great news, I had a meeting with our Sr. VP of Operations in September when I assumed my new role and we spoke at length about my desire to be in a leadership position and that I wanted some sort of mentoring to foster the on-the-job training/inclusion that I had with APS to prepare for a future leadership position. I was assured that this would take place and even complimented for me desire to progress; however, to date, no such actions have taken place.

I have to check my attitude daily and that bothers me. I am looking forward to being in a position that I again enjoy and can foresee a promising future!

I covet your prayers as Michele and I contemplate what to do next in our careers.

2 comments:

KerrisKorner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KerrisKorner said...

Robert...we will be praying for you guys! Josh hit that same "dead spot" about a year ago and started praying for the Lord to show him new opportunites for his professional life. I was shocked the day he called me and told me that he wanted to apply to Law School. But here we are a year later seeing God open those doors and providing in ways we never expected to make Josh's desire to be an attorney come to life. He has been faithful, but it has taken a lot for us to step out in faith (blindly) and believe that the Lord really would take this desire He has given Josh and make it happen. We are TOTALLY excited about where he is headed professionally and I can't imagine not going in this direction. I will pray for the Lord to show you the right doors as well...with an MBA, your personality and leadership abilities there is A LOT out there for you!!